- 12:59 pm - Tue, Jul 24, 2012
- 327 notes
Last November we noted here that Method was “making new bottles from plastic specifically gathered from trash that washes up on the beach,” and collecting donations of, you know, garbage.
That effort is winding its way to reality:
Compared to the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch,” one plastic soap bottle may not seem like much. But if that one bottle is mass produced by soap-maker Method, it could turn out to make a big difference.
At least, that’s the hope. To create the bottle, Method employees and volunteers from Sustainable Coastlines and the Kokua Hawaii Foundation scoured Hawaii’s shores, picking up more than 3,000 pounds of beached plastic, including a still-inflated basketball from Japan and a Korean Coke bottle.
Method … recycled that plastic to make 10 percent of the plastic that goes into the Ocean bottle (the other 90 percent is recycled, too, just not from the ocean).
The “sea minerals” soap, which won’t be available until November, is a 2-in-1 dish and hand cleaner
(via Turning the ‘Ocean Garbage Patch’ Into Packaging | Wired Design | Wired.com)