The Uncollection: Looking for DIY/Crafty Creators To Spotlight
A quick note about the Uncollection project that’s been gradually unfolding here on the Unconsumption Tumblr.
As many of you know, we’ve invited a series of our favorite crafty creators to reuse our Mr. Cart Logo in original projects — rebranding existing stuff, as an experiment subverting the whole “brand” concept to give new value to old things. Lately our contributors’ efforts have been recognized by BoingBoing, Swiss Miss, FastCompany.com, and The Etsy Blog.
We have more Uncollection pieces in the works, but now is as good a time as any to say that we’re also looking for even more creators to work with. If that’s you, please get in touch — read on for details including contact info.
- Our logo is under a noncommercial CC license, so we’d prefer it not simply be incorporated into upcycled objects that are for sale. Maybe at some point we’ll move in that direction.
- But for now our real goal is to inspire people to think of new ways to appreciate materials and objects at hand — the theory being that an old thing can become a “new” thing with the help of Mr. Cart.
- What we’ve been doing with the Uncollection “artist series” is inviting people like Tiffany Threadgould and Garth Johnson (to pick two random examples) and others to do a project with Mr. Cart that we can feature on our site — and in return we promote the heck out of their work (site, book, whatever applies) to our ever-growing Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook audiences. Most of the contributors so far have offered a “how to” component, though we don’t require that. Click around on our Uncollection page for examples.
- That said, we don’t really have any other rules, per se. Projects now in the works range from the very simple to the surprisingly elaborate. Basically we want whatever the creator does to be something that he or she is excited about doing — because that makes us excited about promoting it, and our readers excited about the project and the creator, and the whole Unconsumption notion.
So if you’re a creator who is interested in joining in the fun, please get in touch: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- sbkent reblogged this from unconsumption
- freedomnotfound likes this
- cherrypoptv likes this
- mollyblock reblogged this from unconsumption
- mixgreen likes this
- kimsca likes this
- thesemicullen likes this
- pandemiclaughter likes this
- kimsca reblogged this from unconsumption
- mollyblock likes this
- unconsumption posted this